History

This is the oldest church edifice in the City of Meriden. Even at that, it is the third building that this Church has used for worship. The first building was erected the year the Church was “gathered in 1729 on the corner of what is now Ann Street and Dryden Drive. It was 30’ by 30’ square. The second Meeting House was built near our present location in 1755. The present beautiful structure in Colonial style, patterned after Greek architecture was built in 1830. You will notice that it resembles a Greek temple with the addition of a steeple. In the early days of our city, Town meetings took place here. This was also the center for anti-slavery meetings prior to the Civil War, and our Church  covenant at the time required members to be opposed to slavery.

arrownav For a complete history of Center Congregational Church, written on its 285th anniversary, click here
arrownav 
To view the 2015 Capital Rehabilitation project, click here

1875 Sanctuary Detail
1875

1878 outside
1878

2017-03-06-H
1889

1893 Outside
1893

1894 Outside
1894

1896 Sanctuary
1896

1920 Sanctuary
1920

1957 Sanctuary
1957